Round 5 Match Report and Team of the Week

Colts- By Brian Paule

A deferred match from being washed out the previous weekend saw us take on Gungahlin at RMC, in a Gungahlin home match!  Canberra put on some unique conditions that saw Colties play in sleet, rain, snow and sunshine all in the one match.  Notwithstanding it was the boys best match of the year that saw them stick to their guns and grind out a great 14-10 win.

The first half was a dour affair in the prevailing conditions.  Both sides had their opportunities, with ball protection being the downfall on a number of occasions for both teams.  Gungahlin did manage to break our defences, and hold on to the ball, on one occasion and snuck into half time with a 5-0 lead.  The coaches were relatively pleased at half time asking the boys to keep up their intensity and enthusiasm, which had dropped a little in the lead up to half time.

The half time chat from the coaches worked as Colties controlled the play much better for most of the second half.  Our first points came to Harry O’Connor who barged his way over for a try following a great back line raid and three phases of forwards play.  Converted by Liam Maguire saw us hit the front with a narrow 7-5 lead.  We had more chances but couldn’t break through, with Liam twice getting close or over the line and also having a 40 metre penalty goal hit the posts.  Following Liam being held up we were awarded a 5 metre scrum.  A good win then drive by the forwards saw Karim Amin sneak over for a try converted by Liam.  14-5 in the lead.

The last 10-15 minutes presented Gungahlin with a number of opportunities.  They eventually scored as the match ended, with a final score of 14-10 to the good guys.

This was Colties best performance of the year, providing much for the rest of the season.  Big match next week as we take on Tuggeranong at a Royals home game at Phillip.

3 points: Karim Amin

2 points: Harry O’Connor

1 point each: Tyson Hannon and Liam Maguire

2nd Grade

The 2nd-grade boys were immensely keen to be able to play this weekend due to having the previous week off. This deferred game was made possible through the RMC Rugby Program who allowed us to meet our top of the table partners- Gungahlin Eagles. The conditions were intently known by both teams who made the most out of the situation. The first 10mins was full of kick placement and counter-attack, with Gungahlin able to get onto the board with a counter-attack try as a result of some poor kick chase and sloppy defence from our boys.

This much-needed wake-up call shifted our 2s boys who responded with some intent defence and a well-placed kick who put the opposition under pressure. A huge focus from the coaches was to leave the green zone with some points, which was very much implemented on the weekend, with many of our points coming from Tom Hallam’s boot. First half score was 6-5 to us after a kicking masterclass from Tom Hallam.

The start of the second half was tough, with the conditions taking its toll on both teams. Our scrum struggled against a large Gungahlin forward pack, forcing multiple opposing penalties which marched them up the field. This eventuated with a quick try off the scrum by Gungahlin, followed by another try not long after. The score at this stage was 6-19. Another big shift from the boys led to our league convert Bobby Roberts performing a stunning chip and chase and scoring under the sticks- of which Tom Hallam converted.

However, the boys were unable to get any other points on the board, with much of the 2nd half being occupied by scrum time. We went down 13-19 in a tough game in tough conditions. A lot of improvement points which we will address this week for our big game against rivals- Tuggers.

Copyright © 2018 Canberra Royals


  • Canberra Royals Rugby Football Club Inc
  • PO Box 3920
  • Waston ACT 2611