Round 4 Wrap and Team of the Week

First grade match report 08 August 2020

If winning is a habit let’s hope the result on Saturday is the first of many to come through the remainder of the season. A good win from the Royals pack who were rock solid in defence of their own line and seriously looked the goods in attack.
Pedro kicked Royals into the lead in the early stages of the game and the blue baggers never gave the Whites more than a hint of an opportunity from then on, as they controlled the play and took advantage of space when it became available either off the back of some scything runs from our back three or from the boot of Bryce Keane as he controlled play and steered the pack around the field.
Rory Scott was a standout in in terms of defensive efforts and really left an impression on the Whites but this effort was well backed up by Joel Penders, Janes Bundy, Tim Isles and Brendan Le Galludec as the tight five joined in with a copy book display.
Congratulations Ben Johnston on the milestone this week, a champion effort to get this far and the accolades sent your way this week are all very well deserved. Next week we’re up against the Eagles who will be tough off the back of some results that haven’t gone their way. We’re looking forward to seeing if we’re on the path to developing that winning habit.
2nd Grade Match Report
Coming off another solid win against west’s Rugby last week. The boys had another solid week of training as they prepared to head to Queanbeyan to take on the whites.

The first half saw the boys get off to a good start with two early penalties goals by Tom Hallam soon followed by a try just before half time from Liam Simonsson with the half time score 11-0 after a solid defensive display from the lads. The second half saw another early penalty converted by Tom Hallam what was followed by another try from Liam Simonsson. the lads then showed a solid display of defence in the second half to keep the whites scoreless for the rest of the game. A late try from Samu Mucunabita that was set up from a nice cross-field kick from Roberts Roberts with the final score 26-0
Unfortunately, the game had to be stopped with a few minutes left to play with royals player Jacob Mann going down with a serious injury. Jacob was taken to the hospital and is now on the road to recovery. we wish Jacob a speedy recovery and cant wait to see him back playing rugby.
3 – Roberts Roberts
2 – Liam Simonsson
1 – Jacob Mann
Colts Match Report

A break in the weather provided Colties an opportunity to take on a committed Queanbeyan outfit without the rain.  Another game that we were in for the most part, but let slip away.  Final score 29-19 to Queanbeyan.

The game started with an early soft try to Queanbeyan.  Our first 15 minutes was not our best for the year with a few high tackles, some poor ball security and conceding a number of penalties.  Fortunately the boys adjusted their play and were more committed for the rest of the half.  We found ourselves deep in attack on a number of occasions.  One raid included a great kick to the Queanbeyan corner.  Unfortunately from the ensuing lineout the ref saw a small knock on and a no-try to Ethan Rokoura resulted.  Our best effort for the half came with about 10 minutes to go.  We had 5 solid phases following a scrum: then a strong run from Harry O’Connor and a great ball sent Sam Keogh through a gap and across the try line.  Liam Maguire converted and we found ourselves 7-5 in front.  The last 5 minutes of the half saw sustained pressure from the Queanbeyan Colts.  They got over the line just on half time to hit the lead 10-7.


Coaches asked the boys to focus on ball security, body height and to concentrate on their attitude to the game.  The second half did not start well with our boys conceding a number of penalties and the Queanbeyan lads barging over for a try to increase their lead to 15-7.  Our best stanza of the match followed with us scoring two tries to hit the lead.  A great break from half way saw Tom Gratwicke bust through 3 or 4 defenders before off-loading to Adam McAuliffe who similarly broke through 3 or 4 defenders before he scored a great try.  Converted by Liam and we were one point behind at 15-14.  In another raid the O’Connor / Keogh combo saw Sam get his double for the day: up 19-15 to the good guys.  Unfortunately that was the last of our scoring and we let the game slip away.  Most of the last 10 minutes saw Queanbeyan pressuring our line with us conceding two tries, eventuating in a final score of 29-19 down.


On reflection, our second game of the year that we let slip away.  A much better second half performance in patches, but conceding a few soft tries that provide us room for improvement.  On on to focus at training this week and take on the Gunghahlin Eagles this week.


3 points: Tom Gratwicke

2 points: Harry O’Connor

1 point: Ethan Rokoura

Copyright © 2018 Canberra Royals


  • Canberra Royals Rugby Football Club Inc
  • PO Box 3920
  • Waston ACT 2611